Friday, December 31, 2010

A Trio of Builders

Late Friday post today. Took the day off to hang out with family and was too tired to write last night.

*****
This "review" is just one guy's opinion, and has no affiliation with Fisher-Price.

So Gramm-E and Grampap got Big Brother and Little Brother each a set of Fisher-Price's Trio building system for Christmas.



I'll admit that the first time I'd ever heard of this "system" was when the boys opened their present.

But having done some building with Trio playing with the boys, let me just say that I'm now a big fan.

Having grown up on Legos, and having had more fun than an adult should more fun than my kids a great time at Lego Land California, I consider that quite a compliment.

I love, and always will love, Legos, but I think the Trio system is superior for three main reasons:

1. It's easier for slightly younger children to use. Little Brother, who's 3, can put them together almost as well as his (almost) 6 year-old Big Brother.

2. You can build bigger things more easily (but the blocks/sticks/platforms aren't big in a more "juvenile" way) than with Legos.

3. (Perhaps the most important) When you're done building, you can play with your creations without them falling apart. My experience has been that Legos tend to be much more fragile.

Trio also gets the Bab-E Brother seal of approval. He loves to crawl through the giant pile of them, and play with all of the small choking hazzards, rather than his "age-appropriate" toys.

I only have one "complaint" so far. Big Brother got the Bat Cave set, which comes with a special piece that's a rope. That creates a problem because:
1. Big Brother considers the rope HIS because, after all, it was his present.
2. Little Brother is absolutely obsessed with ROPES (or anything that could be loosely construed as a rope).

In this case, 1 + 2 does not equal 3, but equals to constant frequent fighting between brothers and yells of "I want the rope. It's mine. I'm NOT sharing."

So, in summary, if you have young builders, I highly recommend the Fisher-Price Trio building system.

But if you have more than one young builder, I also highly recommend that you buy 2 rope pieces.

Wishing you a happy and safe 2011,


Busy-Dad-E

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I have never heard of the Trio system myself but I agree that Legos seem to be fragile once the sets are built. I'll have to check this out when my son gets a little older!

    ReplyDelete