Sunday, September 11, 2011

College

Out of the blue, in a very worried voice, Little Brother asked me,

“Dad-E, am I going to go to college?”

“Yes, eventually. But not until you get older.”

“But I’ll be scared if you’re not there.”

Too sweet. (This coming from a boy who at a recent gathering of friends with small children, was running around like a helicopter wearing pj's, a vest, and a cone-shaped Batman birthday hat. College is going to LOVE you.)

“Don’t worry pal. You have plenty of time before you go to college, and when you do, you’ll be ready.”

“I’m going to be a builder.”

“Sure, buddy. That sounds great.”

“But I don’t know how to climb onto the roof of the house,” he says, fretfully.

“Don’t worry buddy. They’ll teach you in college.”

(Please don’t learn how to climb onto the roof for a long time.)

“And where am I going to buy the wood?” he retorts, with ever-increasing anxiety.

“Lowe’s.” (This seemed to reassure him.)

And next thing you know, we’re back to talking about typical boy stuff.

Oh the musings of a 3 year-old. I wonder what’s going on in his hamster wheel that we’re not hearing about.

Have a good week,
Busy-Dad-E

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I ever spoke about college when I was young or worried over those things. Kaitlyn too has been a bit nervous about college. The other day she was upset that there were no empty house next door so she can move there after college. I wonder why this subject has become an increasing fear for little ones. I don't even think I have mentioned to her that she would be going to college. Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the college talk started at out house because Big Brother was innocently explaining to Little Brother about the progression of school (first there's elementary school, then middle, etc). Suddenly, Little Brother came running to me in tears, "Big Brother said I have to go away to college! I'm scared!" Poor guy! You are right, Rosi, I don't think I gave college much thought either. It was somewhat on the radar screen because my next door neighbors had a big brother in college and he was rarely around. At that age, I just thought they were lucky to have a big brother to "show them the ropes" in life. I wasn't actually worried about what would happen when I got there.

    ReplyDelete