Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day 2012


Dear Mom-E,

Happy Mother’s Day 2012!

It’s amazing to think that we’ve been married for almost 9 years.  The time has truly zipped by.  Over the past 7 years as parents, and especially in recent months, we have truly grown in the sacrament of marriage. 

Amidst all of the joyful chaos and frenetic pace of life, it’s critical to take time to pause and reflect.

And while I try to tell you that I love you and how wonderful you are on a daily basis, this Mother’s Day I wanted to write down some of my sentiments, as a true present from the heart.

First of all, know that you are a truly special and wonderful lady.  With God’s grace, you can accomplish anything you set your mind to (and probably more).  A-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.  Slow down and let that sink in for a moment.


I thank you for your constant example of faithfulness to our boys.  Thanks for all you do to raise the boys in the faith.  This is particularly meaningful to me, as it was somewhat lacking in my early childhood.  I can now see clearly how critical this time period is for the formation of faith, and how important it is that we show the boys this path.

You are a fine example of fidelity and womanhood, as wife and mother.  This will no doubt have a long-lasting influence on the women that our boys will marry.

I thank you for your constant example of faithfulness to me.  Your example inspires me (and others) to live an even holier life.  I think we are both starting to see new fruits of that call to holiness.  Your example of love has led me to more deeply understand the love of God the Father.

At your surprise 30th birthday party, I said in my toast that you are epitomized by the quote, “The secret of success is constancy of purpose.”  And this still rings true.  In your life, your priorities are your dedication to your family, friends, and faith.  You live out this mission daily, unwaivering, expecting no recognition or material reward. 

You are truly generous with your time and talents.  How are those wooden boxes coming?  What hand-made item will you sew next for the boys?  Yet another superhero costume or jammies?  A tent?

Thank you for your patience with the boys.  Sure we both feel empty on patience sometimes, but you still have oodles of it.  Your love for them makes my heart smile.

At the end of a long, tiring day of mess cleaning, meal fixing, bey blading, mess cleaning, dispute mediating, small men chauffeuring, mess cleaning, dog whining, back door opening/closing, mess cleaning, story reading, pre-nap rocking, mess cleaning, diaper changing, dish washing, mess cleaning, child yelling, toddler tantruming, mess cleaning, laundry washing (and drying and folding), lunch packing, mess cleaning, my favorite 5 minutes are when we sit down or lie in bed together and laugh about all of the day’s antics, only to wake up (exhausted), and spend another 5 minutes in the bathroom laughing about all of the antics to soon follow when three boys are awake before 7 a.m. 

I truly cherish our uncontrolled laughter during those times.  It keeps me going despite the stress of the wonderful circus that we direct.  That, and caffeine.  Lots and lots of caffeine.  But still, when we are old and decrepit, I hope we can still laugh like that.

Lastly, I also want to share with you some biblical wisdom about motherhood from the book of Proverbs that I hope will continue to feed and nourish you as a mother:

 “A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.  Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.  She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.”  Proverbs 31:10-12.

“So be happy with your wife, and find joy with the woman you married.” Proverbs 5:18

“A gracious woman is respected.” Proverbs 11:16

“Homes are made by the wisdom of women.” Proverbs 14:1

“Find a wife and you find a good thing, it shows the Lord is good to you.”  Proverbs 18:22

And so, on Mother’s Day (and always), know that I am happy and full of joy, that you are respected and wise, and that the Lord has truly been good to me.


I love you,
Dad-E

P.S.  And while I hope that my words are inspiring, I also recognize that with three boys age 7, 4, and 2, caffeine helps is very necessary, and so we also have a little Starbucks gift card for you!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's DAy! What a touching piece. Loved the proverbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving and sweet! What a beautiful testimony of your love! Love, aunt-e

    ReplyDelete