Monday, October 26, 2009

Edith Ann Reincarnate

Hello everyone!

Mom-E and I got (a little bit) rested up this weekend following my "little" trip across the pond. That is to say that I got a (short) nap in on Sunday, which is pretty unusual. I was happy that Mom-E was able to nap on both Saturday and Sunday, which was an absolute requirement.

I'm still fighting the jet lag, but doing okay.

Of course, having two very active boys speeds along the process of recovering from the jet lag.

Do any of you remember Lily Tomlin in the Edith Ann sketch from Laugh-In?

In short, she plays an ornery girl who sits and offers commentary in a (massively oversized) rocking chair (which makes her look even more like a little girl). (See below)


Well, Little Brother has been attempting an Edith Ann impression lately.

In his neverending quest to imitate his Big Brother become a big boy, Little Brother has started to refuse being rocked to sleep at night in the rocking chair.

Instead, the precocious little bugger blurts out, "wanna rock BY MYSELF!"

This translates to "put me in the rocking chair while you still on the foot stool and rock the chair by pushing on it."

Or, occasionally, Little Brother will want you to sit beside him on a little 2 inch strip of rocking chair.

"Sorry, buddy. Ain't no one here with that tiny of a heiny except your stuffed animals."

He really is quite a sight in the rocking chair, which could pretty much swallow him whole.

Next thing you know, he'll be interviewing celebrities while he rocks.

There's such an interesting dichotomy with this latest expression of 2 year-old independence.

On the one hand, it's exciting to see him turn from a baby to a little boy, full of energy, enthusiam, preferences, a desire to imitate and learn from Big Brother, and a heaping spoonful of bull-headedness

On the other hand, it makes me a little sad--or at least sentimental--that as he becomes a "big boy" he wants us to cuddle and rock him less and less.

Fortunately, despite this desire to "rock solo", Little Brother still enjoys laying his head down on my shoulder and "dancing", which is pretty much rocking without the chair.

The end of "dancing" is probably around the corner, too, but therin lies (part of) the sweetness of having more children: the opportunity to prolong that phase of total dependence on Mom-E and Dad-E.

One of the best feelings in life is a small child cuddling in your arms, relaxing to the point of just melting in to you, filled with unconditional trust.

And That's The Truth. Plllllllllll.

Have a good week,
Busy-Dad-E

4 comments:

  1. I agree, i love that sweet time in life where your little one depends on you and wants to cuddle. There is nothing sweeter! Love, aunt-e

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's bitter sweet, but mostly sweet, to watch them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to step in here and be probably one of five or six people who does indeed remember Edith Ann (LOVED that character!)!!

    Yep, it's bittersweet when they start gaining independence, but really, it's more sweet than bitter. It means you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Edith Ann very well. She was, well, a character!

    I shouldn't say this, but since more children are not in our plans, I can't wait to spoil grandchildren. That's the mushy side of me talking, not the practical "get an education before settling down" mom.

    I've watched one leave the nest and it broke my heart, but at the same time left me with a feeling of pride. The second and youngest still has a few more years at home. I'm so happy she's still here. And, I still get hugs and kisses. Don't know what I'd do without them.

    Enjoy all the dances!

    ReplyDelete