Friday, October 9, 2009

The Spider Says Woof



Happy Fatherhood Friday everyone!

Don't forget to creepy crawl your way over to Dad-blogs.com to check out all of the great bloggers over there.

This week is one charged with excitement and anticipation. Today is day 2 of a 2-day (plus dinner the night before) all-day (half) marathon job interview for me. All is going well, but there's still some tension.

Fortunately, the boys have come through in terms of helping to ease that tension.

We were at the dinner table the other night when SOMEONE (who won't be named) ripped (albeit accidentally) a rather vociferous toot.

"What was THAT?" someone exclaimed.

"Why, that was a Barking Spider!" I replied without hesitation. "Did you boys know that I have a Barking Spider in my pocket?"

With dead silence mounting giggles, they asked, "What's that?"

I proceed to explain that sometimes if you STRETCH (i.e., lean over to one side), it opens up some extra space in your pocket, and that's when you can hear your spider BARK.

You STRETCH and WOOF.

A cacophony of laughter ensued. (Big Brother thought this was hysterical, and therefore Little Brother--who probably had little idea what was going on--followed the lead and started laughing too.)

For no less than 5 minutes I had to repeatedly demonstrate how you STRETCH and WOOF, each time meeting with thunderous--literally uncontrolled gut-busting--laughter on the part of Big Brother and Little Brother.

Mind you, at no time during that 5 minutes did my spider bark.

And, of course, in the midst of his laughing fit, Big Brother's spider BARKED TOO, and this effluviation only led to a greater uproar of laughter.

SO MUCH FOR TEACHING THE BOYS GOOD TABLE MANNERS, DAD-E.

And so now (forever and ever probably) if you ask Little Brother, "What does a kitty cat say?...Meow. What does a cow say?...Moo. What does a SPIDER say?"

WOOF!

Thank you boys, for this much needed comic relief. I'll never forget that dinner conversation.

Please pray that my spider does NOT bark during my interview today!

Have a good weekend,
Busy-Dad-E

11 comments:

  1. That is hilarious, and only fun that boys and dads can have. :)

    Best of luck on your job interview: hope you can get out of it without ripping any vociferous toots! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm chuckling while I say a little prayer and cross all my fingers and toes in hopes that your spider does not bark during your interview.
    My dad used to occasionally let out a burp at the table, and it would always be followed by, "Excuse yourself ________" whichever kid he decided to blame the burp on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOLOL.
    I am saving this for future reference. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROFLMAO! WHat a great idea...sounds so much better than ours, with our little girl...we call em TOOTSKIES!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading this right before I start work. Thanks for the laughter!

    Good luck with your job interviews and, fingers crossed, hopefully you won't have any barking spiders accompanying you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That reminds me of the oll Bill Cosby standup where he talks about fathers blaming farts on invisible animals. Way to keep up the tradition. Good luck with the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's what I call male-bonding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very funny! Anything to make a child laugh. Hope the interview went well. Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  9. So that's what that was about! Big Brother was telling us about barking spiders tonight and I thought it was something along the lines of the "Scratch Monkeys" from my, Aunt-E, and Mom-E's childhood. That is too funny!

    -CY Aunt-E :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! what a funny dinner! love, aunt-e

    ReplyDelete