Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I Peed on My Waffle

Having "mastered" juggling 3 kids and recently moved, Mom-E and I decided that we should take on a new challenge (because we haven't had anything to keep us busy in the last 10 minutes).

So this past weekend, we officially started potty training Little Brother.

You may remember that he showed some early interest, and more recently the phone company gave us some help.

We have an "overall strategy" when it comes to potty training, but parenthood has beat into us the idea that each of our children are different and we may have to exercise creativity and flexibility.

What we did is first make a big production over the fact that, "You're a big boy now. Big boys don't wear diapers."

Then we proceeded to gather up all of Little Brother's diapers, and together WE THREW THEM AWAY. (We put them in a trash can in the garage that was otherwise empty. When the time is right we'll "rescue" them for use with Bab-E Brother.) But to him they were gone, and no longer an option.

Little Brother got about 18 gazillion of his favorite character underwear.

And then, most importantly, he got a weekend of (almost) unlimited access to fluids.

He is in heaven and, of course, oblivious to the fact that the fluids "force the issue."

We told him, "Your job is to keep your pants dry. You tell us when you have to go pee-pee."

Big Brother quickly figured out that wet underwear were no fun.

Little Brother, so far, has also been quick to figure this out.

But where Big Brother was motivated to pee in the potty for stickers on a chart, Little Brother could care less about that.

But, in one of those moments of creative flexibility, I figured out that Little Brother likes to pee ON stuff.

I threw a few Cheerios into the potty, and he was more than willing to "let it fly" to target them.

You should've seen the smile on his face when we told Mom-E about this. I thought he was going to rip his face it was so big.

And so, we went to church on Sunday, and in the middle of the service he told me he had to go pee-pee.

We went to the bathroom. Unfortunately, we were out of Cheerios. But fortunately, I was holding an Eggo waffle. (Please don't ask me why I'm holding an Eggo in the bathroom in church. Just go with the flow. :)

And in the name of potty training, I tore off a small piece of waffle and threw it in.

With great pride, Little Brother ensured that the waffle would not dry out.

Still proud from his accomplishment, as we're tip-toeing back into our seats, Little Brother blurts out, rather loudly, over and over, "Mom-E, I peed on my waffe!"

I'd prefer to not know what everyone else in earshot thought about that one.

We'll keep you posted on his progress.

See you on Fatherhood Friday,
Busy-Dad-E

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh!

    The only daytime TV I watch is during afternoon nap, when Dr. Phil is on. I can't say that would be my first choice for my one itsy bitsy bit of TV time, but I don't have a DVR on the downstairs TV, so that's my best option. I have seen an episode twice now where Dr. Phil is counselling a couple about potty training their kid. In response to the sticker / M&M reward theory, Dr. Phil says, "You have to find his currency." In other words, what is important to the kid? For some it's stickers, for others M&M's, and for your kiddo, peeing on breakfast food. Hey - whatever works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have the way to get my 2YO out of diapers.

    Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! The quieter the venue, the louder they speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! If there are any other members of your church nearly as interesting of you, it must be an amazingly entertaining service! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story is perfectly logical when you hear the whole thing, but how funny to be in the congregation and hear some child talking about peeing on a waffle! Awesome!
    love, aunt-e

    ReplyDelete
  6. @MandyE: Yep, whatever works. Flexibility is an essential parenting skill

    @Eric: May the force be with you, my paduan.

    @WM: Ain't that the truth.

    @Seashore Subjects: And to think that we're FREE entertainment, to boot.

    @Aunt-E: See what you have to look forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete