Sunday, January 23, 2011

Post-Birthday Party Party

A little while back, I started a series of twitter posts called #NotInTheParentingInstructionManual, a collection of random thoughts about all those situations we'd never have expected to be in prior to becoming parents.

We recently celebrated Big Brother's 6th birthday!

While, of course, a lot of time, energy, and effort goes into a birthday and party, we often don't focus on it's aftermath.

One of my recent tweets was about said aftermath.

At 6:15 am the day after his party, Big Brother skipped happily into our room, ear-to-ear smile still firmly attached to his face, without a hint of being tired, to ask me, "Dad-E, can we finish building my Legos?"

Admittedly, my first impulse was to feign being asleep With a little effort, I managed to get out of bed.

We spent the next 90 minutes or so (yes, ninety) engrossed in Lego-dom.

We were quite pleased with the result:


(Definitely sweeter than anything I built with Legos as a kid.)

While I didn't plan to get up at 6:15 am to work on Legos, some of our best parenting moments are made when we least expect them. It was a great time!

Happy Birthday, Big Brother!
I love you, Lego building buddy,
Dad-E

1 comment:

  1. You will look back on those sweet times together and be even more glad for them than you are now. Keep being Lego buddies for as long as you can :)

    ReplyDelete